12.16.2005

I stand on my own bottom

Because colon cancer appears again and again in my family's medical history, I have regular colonoscopies-- a fate generally reserved for those over sixty. I'm thrilled to report that yesterday's colonoscopy went so well that I can wait at least two years before I return to my left side in the GI clinic. Here are the three most telling quotations from yesterday's exam:

Ereck: "The nurse who put in my IV..." [That's all I have to say to make Kenneth curl in pain and horror. At times, I've been known to tease and torture Kenneth by talking about medical procedures, etc. that I know will freak him out. In this case, however, I was just tellin' m' story.]

from Getting Ready for Colonoscopy, required reading provided by the clinic: "Start to drink the [gallon-sized] bowel prep. Try to drink at least one 8-ounce glass every 10 minutes. If you feel sick to your stomach, stop drinking. Wait until the nausea passes. Then start drinking again, but at a slower rate (1 cute every 15-20 minutes)." [Was this process conceived by a UW binge drinker?!]

Ereck, near the end of the procedure when sedation was beginning to wear off: "I don't feel that I've contributed enough to this conversation."

1 comment:

Kenneth Burns said...

Would you believe I was briefly pre-med?