3.01.2010

Cover Up


How distressing to be Michael W. Alssid, author of the volume on
Thomas Shadwell in the Twayne's English authors series. On the
cover of his book appears not his name but that of one Tom Burns
Haber which has then been mostly blocked out by a stamp of gold.
The process of scanning the cover highlights the presence of
Haber's name, but it's still readily visible on the object itself. Haber
is the author of the volume on A. E. Housman in the same series. I
include above the Jacobs' book on Cleveland just for reference
(and because I have it deskside). Alssid's name is stamped into the
spine of his book, but-- at least on the one I'm using-- it's just an
impression, not stamped in gold. I take a grim satisfaction in mis-
takes like this. I find it helpful to be reminded that mistakes are
constantly made all around me. I try to loosen by grip. I drink in
images of
Dutch Olympic speedskater Sven Kramer, disqualified
from his gold-medal, world-record race due to his coach's error.


2 comments:

Margit Carstensen said...

Sven Kramer, in his perfect Dutchness--slightly surly, blunt, transfixing nevertheless--was the breakaway star of the Olympics. He called a stupid American reporter stupid, after winning his first gold medal. He throws his glasses and disses coach, justifiable actions both. What's Dutch for je t'adore?

Erk said...

SK: "All people make a mistake. But this, this is a very expensive mistake."