6.21.2006

Radio waves have life

Tomorrow morning at 7 am, I'll be on 105.1 Charlie FM here in Madison. My entry for "Charlie on Demand" was selected. Generally, Charlie broadcasts sans DJ and plays a mix of "everything" (their version of everything, of course, excludes much... rap and hip hop, for starters. Despite such short comings, the jumble of tunes is generally great. In fact, Charlie definitely contributed to my new radio phase. I know that's where I was first arrested by Missing Persons, whose song I later requested on WSUM). But at 7 am and 5 pm each work day, they play a cluster of five songs proposed and then DJ'd by a listener.

Below, I've transcribed what you'd hear if you listened tomorrow morning.



Erk: Hey. This is Erk in Madison. I got one hand in my pocket and the other one's adjusting my dial to 105.1 Charlie FM-- Charlie on Demand.

[
Hand in my Pocket by Alanis Morissette]
[Love Will Bring Us Together by Captain and Tennille]
Erk: This is Erk in Madison with a big thanks to 105.1 for playing my songs on Charlie on Demand. Here's Heart with Barracuda [said w/ appropriate imitative intonation]

[Barracuda by Heart]
[
True Faith by New Order]
Erk: Hi, I'm Erk in Madison. My main man Kenneth and I love listening to Charlie: it's the perfect soundtrack to our lives, so I'd like to dedicate my little Charlie on Demand song cycle to Kenneth. Now, give us some Boz Scaggs: how about Low Down...
[Low Down by Boz Scaggs]

I'm not sure about the order, but... that's everything I know and everything Gabe recorded over the phone this morning. Charlie switched up my original proposal, substituting two of the alternates I provided (True Faith and Hand in my Pocket) for Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart (which I have heard on Charlie) and In the Street by Big Star (which I haven't).

6 comments:

Kenneth Burns said...

Didn't we hear some De La Soul on Charlie?

Kenneth Burns said...

BTW you are so sweet!!!!!

MC said...

"Love Will Keep Us Together" and "Love Will Tear Us Apart" could have been a particularly nice pairing.

Anonymous said...

I love what you chose to say that is written under your thumbnail picture. It is beautiful, inspiring and intuitive. Love it.

Erk said...

Thanks, anonymous, for the kind words! I was happiest with that bit and frustrated that I couldn't muster similar lines for the other songs...

jason said...

That pre-recording nonsense means one can't try and properly "hit the post" (http://radio.about.com/library/bldef-118.htm).

What a sham(e)!