9.18.2006

Ongoing Exploration of Mexican Cooking



Diana Kennedy introduced me to the world of amazingly flavorful tomato broths. For the above dish, Albóndigas de Camarones (shrimp balls or shrimp dumplings), tomatoes with garlic and onion are sautéed to a paste and then water and aromatics (peppercorns and whole coriander) are added and simmered. The dumplings are raw shrimp whirled together with a moistened ancho chile, and freshly ground cinnamon, peppercorns, and coriander. They're cooked in the broth. The recipe calls for potatoes, nopales, and chayote. In the past I skipped the nopales and used zucchini in lieu of chayote. Weirdly, I wasn't able to find zucchini at the co-op the other day, so I sub-substituted broccoli, which worked well.



I also made mushroom tacos (tacos de hongos). So simple, delicious, and filling. The taco on the left contains avocado because I ran out of mushroom filling yet wanted to keep practicing my frying technique. Kennedy demonstrates how to roll tacos for frying, but currently we don't keep the necessary toothpicks on hand. I've also yet to make my own tortillas (anyone want to buy me a tortilla press?) so I must manage with locally-made store-bought fare.

1 comment:

MC said...

With my friends rachel and jacob, we recent made really great home-made tortillas that I really loved. And, best of all, it happened sans tortilla press; jacob rolled them by hand on the wooden counter top and then we "fried" them in a dry wok their stovetop. I can get you the recipe if you'd like.

xo