5.14.2007

Morels

Beautiful morels, cut in quarters and waiting to be prepared:



Bradford tells an anecdote about Zuni-chef Judy Rodgers grabbing a plate on its way into the dining room, declaring that the plate looks too perfect, messing it up a bit, and then sending it on its way. I share this story as a preface to this image of the morels being served. Not until I reviewed the photos did I realize how hastily and haphazardly this meal was plated. I know that there appears to be a major river of herbed mayonaise with roasted garlic flowing through the middle of the plate. I promise it wasn't as excessive as it may appear.



The morels were amazing amazing amazing. Though the plate looks a mess, the salmon, asparagus, and morels made wonderful sense once in the mouth.

2 comments:

roberta said...

I never cooked morels, are they easy to prepare?

I can't live without Dolly Parton's Coat of Many colours either!

thanks
R

Erk said...

Roberta,

Thanks for the comment! The morels are very easy to prepare. I follow Alice Waters's recipe from Chez Panisse Vegetables:

Soften a bit of garlic and onions in butter (olive oil would make a fine vegan alternative). Toss in the morels and sautee for a minute or so. Add a small bit of water (I used 1/4 c.), cover, and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the lid, add a bit more butter (here you might use margarine to help thicken the fluid) and simmer for another 4 minutes or so until the fluid has thickened and almost disappeared. Season with salt, pepper, a dash of lemon juice, and fresh parsley.

The flavor of morels is so unique, amazing, and delicate that a simple preparation like this makes the most sense. Plus, they're quite expensive here, so when I splurge on them I don't want them to end up overpowered or overlooked in a more complex dish.