8.31.2007

From the UW Archives:
Athletic Photo of Athletic Photos


John Hickman, photoed here around 1934. was a three-year varsity swimmer before assistant- and head-coaching at the UW on and off until 1969. Hickman's eerie calm and old-school suit both interest me, but I'm most captivated by the stack of other photos behind him. Why were these taken? Where are they now? Presumably some of them are in the archive. I would love to have a huge photo of a UW swimmer from the 30's displayed in my home.

3 comments:

MC said...

I too would take one of those photos in back. To be more specific, i'll take the one on the left thats hung on the wall...the smile is nice. So is the singlet.

I wonder of these sporty boys dated any of the stylish fiber girls...

Erk said...

It's yours. I have my eye on the one in front of it-- the one leaning against your photo. I like the cocky or jaunty position of that swimmer's shoulders.

MC said...

Go ahead and wrap it up and mail it at your convenience. You've got my address...