11.09.2007

DeFacebook

Kenneth has recently expressed reservations about facebook ("It's just another thing to check" and "I've quickly lost interest in that [the Visual Bookshelf] feature"), but I remain enthralled. If you're not on facebook-- you know who you are-- you should be, you should friend me, and you will be delighted by how much more in touch we are or seem or whatever.

Many of facebook's gadgety features (Visual Bookshelf, for example) are delightful. I'm so excited to finish a book, rush to my computer, and update what I'm reading and what I've read. Lately, I've been reading 1) 18th- and 19th-century novels over 600 pages in length and 2) food-oriented works that I move through at a rate of a couple of pages per week. Which is to say that I don't often rush to my computer and update. But when I do, well, it is something of a rush...

Many more of the gadgety features are dreadful, and too many people (my facebook friends nonetheless) seem unaware that they can control their newsfeeds so as to keep me from being updated when their Werewolf has attacked some Vampire...

And there there's My Personality:



Absurd. Surely I am at least as neurotic as I am conscientious! I mean, the other evening when I misplaced Neil Young and Crazy Horse Rust Never Sleeps (a disc I'd had in hand just a couple of days prior), I spent ages frantically rooting through piles and nervously scanning through the cd shelf (where I ultimately found it filed under Pete Townshend, who's been on my mind lately). When Kenneth replaces the butter in the fridge without properly wrapping it up, I f-reak out. When a lady dining 20 feet away from me in a restaurant drops her lipstick from her pocket mid meal, I find myself distracted by trying to remember to see when she gets up to leave so that I can notify her of her dropped lipstick should she not have discovered it there on the floor.

That's all I wanted to share: My Personality sucks. Thank goodness it can be vanquished at the click of a button.

No comments: