11.21.2007

Document

My wonderful therapist is a savvy earth mother (think heavy cabled knits with metallic flecks) in her later 50's who, when I reported that I'd begun to pump iron, replied, "Oh! I do free weights!" She proposed that weightlifting shifts the focus of exercise from losing weight to something more likely to produce a feeling of accomplishment. You can see and feel the work you've accomplished. I think she's right. I also promote a sense of accomplishment through record keeping.



I've been meaning to share this with you for ages, but I misplaced it for several weeks. Do note that my record-keeping methodology here is peculiar-- more focused on utility than accurate representation of what I've done. "65" in a squat means that I load each side of the bar with 65 lbs. This removes arithmetic from the process (65 x 2 + bar = 175 lbs) . "30" in a dumbbell exercise means I use 30 lb. dumbbells. I ain't braggin'. I got miles to go before I'm strong. I just want you to know that I can bench more than 35 lbs.

4 comments:

MC said...

What are dips?

Erk said...

Dips are way hard. At first, I couldn't do a single one. Now I can do about 20 on any given day.

MC said...

Woah! Dips DO look hard....and you can do 20!? TWENTY?!?!?

Jack Judah Shamama said...

Congrats -- my life-long ambition has been to get to they gym at regular and sustained intervals. Maybe this way of looking at things will inspire me.