3.22.2008

Will the Circle Be Unbroken

I picked a good time to fall ill: nothing needs to be done in the immediate future and we've got a stint of free HBO. They picked a good time to give us a free trial of HBO: I'm ill and willing to watch things that, otherwise, I wouldn't. Lilli Taylor in the remake of The Haunting, Running Scared, and Man of the Year-- my distaste for Robin Williams being so great that I need addling of some sort to get me in the door.

Last night, feeling better, I watched Gladiator, which I'd never seen and had a genuine interest in watching. As the closing credits began, I was like, "Is that Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance, the band which, along with other 4AD label groups the Cocteau Twins and This Mortal Coil, filled my adolescence with the belief that I had sophisticated taste and an ear for musical art?!??" And then, there rolled the credit, "Music by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard." Who is this Hans Zimmer who has replaced Brendan Perry as Gerrard's partner, I demanded, leaping for my computer. Wiki reveals that he's an award-winning composer of film scores, but, more importantly, "Born in Frankfurt am Main, Zimmer began his musical career playing keyboards and synthesizers with, among others, the bands Helden (with Warren Cann from Ultravox) and The Buggles ('Video Killed the Radio Star')."

Just as today I snicker at my teenage passion for Dead Can Dance which I can no longer appreciate without addling, I also weep and access ecstasy while listening to Video Killed the Radio Star, a song I think I've always known, perhaps my favorite song of all time, a tune I listen to constantly, and certainly the work I use to reorient myself when I begin to get unproductively grumpy about the pop music machine. The Lisa Gerrard/Hans Zimmer connection is too much for me-- it's where the snake's jaws wrap around its own tail, the key to the infinite. John Francis Dooley, the scapegoat has run: all our sins are disowned, and now it's time for you to take off thy mask and cross the rubicon. If you and I were one within the eyes of our designs, it would still not change the fact of our leaving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But when the thunder breaks, sister, it breaks for you and me.

rump shaker said...

i can honestly say,the thought of listening to this mortal coil or dead can dance,at this point in my life,makes me cringe and grimace and shake my head from side to side mouthing no,no,nooooooo!!
i too thought i had uber sophisticated taste for a 14 year old.but we did,did'nt we?