3.22.2009

As I child, I often believed that the world was filled with hidden cameras and worried about my actions being caught on film. Such notions still flicker into my mind from time to time. How, I wonder, did they originate? THX 1138 is just one of many works demonstrating that I'm not alone in this strange anti-fantasy. It's an anti-fantasy, I think, because it's related to childhood fantasy and imaginary play which involved performing for the camera, imagining an absent yet critical audience which somehow increased the potency of my actions and emotions.

3 comments:

Jack Judah Shamama said...

Me too. I also used to think I was the subject of a giant experiment.

tooknap press said...

I still, often, feel that I am constantly under surveillance - residue from Dad's career in law enforcement & friendship with FBI agents, who could always pinpoint my whereabouts and goings-on. Totally connected to undercover lives, criminality, & performance -- bedroom music video pantomimes where I played out both parts of "Don't You Want Me?"

Still haven't seen THX 1138.

tooknap press said...

dear semicolon,
please pardon my comma
yours truly,
em dash