9.17.2009

Brimmed with Potential

[originally written as part of a facebook message to Kate Corby while she was in H1N1 isolation]

We're VERY excited about the new fall season on TV. Now that cable's out of the picture, we're fascinated – riveted— by the possibilities offered by the major networks.

E: Oh, you know-- I'd give that cougar show a try.
K: The new Courtney Cox?
E: No, the one about the baby, set in San Francisco.
K: Oh, Jenna Elfman.
E: And I'd try blackout as well...
K: You mean "Flash Forward" from the network which brought you "Three's Company?"
E: Yup.
E: The Jenna Elfman—it looks like such a disaster, but I have an odd feeling about it. As if it could be the inverse of the Cheryl Hines motherhood show, which brimmed with potential but was so tone deaf and awful.
K: Any interest in "Eastwick?"
E: Oh, I'd try that.
K: Why aren't more Updike novels made into TV series?
E: I’d watch Rabbit before I’d read it.
K: You know I'm more excited about TiVo-ing things than I am about watching them.
E: Oh I know (sigh)*

* The sigh recognizes that I, on the other hand, will likely watch all this shit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Will be giving Vampire Diaries a second chance, mostly because it's on before "Supernatural," truly a guilty pleasure, but I loves me some Jensen Ackles.

Fairly delighted by Glee!, although if the gay boy doesn't fluff that mohawked football player soon I might lose all interest. It would be a good plotline: They have a heavy make-out session with intense dry humping and then there's the denial and the denial and the denial.

Sigh. J'adore repressed homosexuality.

Erk said...

Kenneth went to college with Misha Collins who plays the role of Castiel. I'm not unfond of Jared Padalecki, and I love the endless brooding of the brothers Winchester. But, for no clear reason, I've never followed "Supernatural."

The initial episode of "The Vampire Diaries" disappointed-- it lacked, uh, a pilot. But perhaps I'll follow your lead and, if nothing else, get a better sense of Paul Wesley and poor sweet Steven R. McQueen. With regard to "Glee" and all you say about it-- yes, yes, yes. With regard to the fall season, we're serious about "Glee" and "The Good Wife." The rest is the rest.

Kenneth Burns said...

Jared Padalecki is no Matt Czuchry.