9.19.2009

"This was Generosity--this was being a true Friend--for the Man who will bear another's Frailties, in my Opinion, is the only Person who deserves that Name. Those People who let their Pride intervene with their Tenderness, enough to make them quarrel with their Friends for their mistakes, may sometimes make an appearance of loving another, but in reality they never enter into Engagements from any other Motive than Selfishness: and I think the Man who forsakes his Friend, only because he is not perfect,is much upon the same footing with one who will be no longer faithful to his Friend, than while Fortune favours him."

-Sarah Fielding, The Adventures of David Simple

This is the epigraph to my new chapbook, What I Hate About My Friends, in which I explain what I hate about each of my friends.

No comments: