4.29.2010

Bradford

E: Who/what's adorable just now?

B: Kristin Chenoweth still comes to mind immediately. Did I tell you that Joey and I went to see her in Promises, Promises? The crowd went nuts when she walked onstage, and she looked terrific, but the role was just too dreary for her. No one wants to see Kristin swallow a bottle of sleeping pills! And although I'm definitely a Burt Bacharach/Hal David fan, their songs just don't make for a great, over-the-top Broadway musical. (Dionne Warwick's emotionlessness is what makes her versions so successful, right?)

Just remembered Cameron Diaz's karaoke performance of "Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" in My Best Friend's Wedding. Cameron was adorable.



E: What can you tell me about the tiers of living celebrities?

B: I tried to figure out why I'd gotten so excited about seeing Janet Jackson at Scarpetta. There are some legendary living celebrities that one never expects to see in real life--like Cher, Barbra Streisand, or Prince. They're all Tier One. Tier Two celebrities--in my mind--are probably closer to my age than Tier One folks, and they're still courting the limelight, unlike the Tier One crowd. So it's possible that one would see them out and about, but highly unlikely. Janet Jackson (Penny from Good Times! Sister of Michael!) is Tier Two. So is Beyoncé, although I know she's nowhere near my age our age. I never got around to figuring out who's in Tier Three. Anyone with a Twitter account is automatically Tier Three or below. [Whoops: I just checked, and both JJ and Beyoncé are on Twitter. Beyoncé has 0 tweets; I doubt that Janet is actually writing hers. -B]

I recognize that the more thought I put into this, the more it falls apart.



LIza: Tier One or Two?

E: My childhood friend-- really, the older brother of my childhood friend-- is Kristian Bush of Sugarland. I (unlike my father) have long acknowledged and appreciated his fame, but I wasn't truly struck by it until I saw him in the "We Are the World 25 for Haiti" video... standing right next to Barbara Streisand. In other words, inches away from Tier One. You're onto something here. Keep at it. New subject, I'm so excited about your house. Is there a spot in it that you're pleased with at the moment?

B: Yes. My desk makes me very happy. I love arranging and re-arranging all my little things, as you know.


4 comments:

Erk said...

Your desk is gorgeous. I love it. I long for it.

Erk said...

Also, I love the amazon.com box. I view this as a version of Judy Rodgers messing up too-perfectly-plated dishes before they are served at Zuni. I fantasize that you fished the box out of the recycling, reconstructed it, and placed it in the frame-- that you styled the photo to look lived-in. xoxo

Kenneth Burns said...

Recommend everyone regularly visit Britney's Twitter feed. Representative tweets:

# What did everyone think of Alice in Wonderland? I really want to see it! -Brit 9:37 AM Mar 11th via web

# My daddy got me a Blizz Berry machine for my birthday. Best frozen yogurt I've tried and now I can have it all the time! -Brit 3:32 PM Dec 5th, 2009 via Tweetie

Unknown said...

Ereck, you would appreciate that Margo was absolutely fascinated by the toilet collection in the bathroom when we were over yesterday... she found it hilarious that they were in the bathroom and had to lift the lid on each one.