4.06.2010

Kenneth


E: Tell me what’s so interesting that you’ve just learned about Warhol.

K: His breakthrough show was in L.A., not New York. The soup cans weren't his idea. He wore wigs.

E: What are ERK’s favorite songs to sing?

K: Does whistling count? "Waltzing Me All the Way Home," "Olympic Fanfare and Theme," "Pretty Little Angel Eyes."

E: You’re very cautious in writing, even in your speech. Why?

K: I'm afraid of being wrong.

E: What’s so fascinating about makeup?

K: Makeup is very pretty, especially eye shadow and lip gloss. I admire the fact that women can transform themselves this way. What Carmindy does with women on "What Not to Wear" is breathtaking. Then with men she's like, here is some lip balm.

E: If you could set up shop anywhere, where would you and what kind of shop?

K: I daydream about taking over Ivo Baldoni's accordion store when he's ready to hang it up.

E: What’s the best episode of Star Trek TNG?

K: The one where a planet is going to be destroyed in a natural disaster, but the people can't leave because the population is perfectly engineered, and that would upset the balance. The one where the brave young Bajoran gets killed made me cry.

E: Ah, the one about the junior officers. I'm keen on that one as well. What’s happening in your book now?

K: It's 1938 and Victor Klemperer is realizing he is in real trouble amid the intensifying anti-Semitism. But he still is able to do his independent scholarly work, and he and Eva take a lot of driving trips. Now a question for you-- What things need to happen for me to be able to sleep? Name three. Extra credit for more.

E: Bonnet (sheet tucked into a headdress), fortress (two pillows placed around body), sleep sound (white noise), book* properly propped on pillow, light source, pillow for head, ear plugs, closet door fully shut, and no air blowing directly on the body. During the cooler months, you favor three blankets folded just so on top of the duvet and neatly tucked under the bed frame. Lest anyone think all this is oppressive, I must declare that I think of your sleep needs as something akin to charming affectations. Now, in exchange for my extra credit, please give me your best Charlie Rose.

K: James Taylah, Stevie Wondah, Cahly Simon...

[The next day, K filled me in on his overnight reading: Jews' licenses were confiscated putting an end to the driving trips.]

*Tiny 'puter may be substituted for book.

2 comments:

Alison Piepmeier said...

Those sleep requirements strike me as charming, too--and I hope that remains your interpretation of them, Ereck! I do think it's very helpful consciously to maintain a fondness for our partners' quirks.

Erk said...

Alison,

What's not made clear enough in the interview is that I've been whistling "Waltzing Me All the Way Home," "Olympic Fanfare and Theme," and "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" very, very regularly for many, many years. Also "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy." The fondness, I think it's fair to say, is thoroughly mutual.