6.28.2010

Dug Earrings Out Of The Car


Discovered in a plastic container
pushed
out of sight at the back
of the fridge

(Somehow, I've convinced myself that
"dug earrings out of the car" is
a line
from Sonic Youth,
maybe in an outtake
from the recording of EVOL.
I wish Sonic Youth would cover
At the Ballet. Also,
all my favorite lyrics from A Chorus Line
strung together
are a Sonic Youth
number:

Locked in the bathroom with Peyton Place
I stuff her shoes
With extra socks.
"Diff'rent" is nice, but it sure isn't pretty
More like a "Come as you are."
Please God, I need this job
Dug earrings out of the car.

Shit, Richie, Shit, Richie.

Look my eyes are dry.
It didn't go down for three years,
Or the record player... Broke.
I'm gonna be a movie star:
Bought myself a fancy pair.
Dug earrings out of the car.
Dug earrings out of the car.


They called me "Nothing."
It's a mess.
)

4 comments:

MC said...

I love the idea of earrings being sold in sets of 3.

Margit Carstensen said...

Um, gorgeous poem.

Dip those earrings in gold and get Ted Muehling on the phone. Or let them set a little longer and then get him on the line, no gold necessary.

Get Kim Gordon away from the art world and back to being a trend setter.

Cast Kim Gordon, Siouxsie Sioux, Kate Bush, and Debbie Harry in musical version of The Golden Girls, for B'way.

Discuss who should play whom. I'd say Kate as Rose Nylund. Kim as Dorothy. Siouxsie as Blanche. Debbie as Sophia.

tooknap press said...

misconstrued lyrics, circa 1983 (?): used to think "dug" in "dug earrings out of the car" was an adjective, one I didn't understand. What are "dug earrings?" I queried.

I never met anyone who was different - who could have figured that out?

dearest margit, I miss you madly. . . in a new york fit last week I bought the library of america ashbery (the one book I'll take back with me to the ashram) & thought of you, then communed with schuyler's spirit on 8th avenue. . .

word verification: morbil

tooknap press said...

can margit even hear me from here?