8.24.2006

Holy Shit: Readers Beware!!

I recently blogged with enthusiasm about squash blossom quesadillas. My first batch was a revealation: delicate, delicious, and easy to prepare. Last night, following up Mike's interest in the flowers, I snapped an image of my preparations.



This time around, a revolt-ution. The cooked blossoms were quite bitter, but Kenneth and I-- foolishly-- worked our way through the quesadillas. Early this morning, we both developed horrendous, gut-wrenching diarrhea. I promise to follow up on this in an effort to provide sound info on eating squash blossoms. Diana Kennedy can't be all wrong as my initial venture was so successful; however, there's something she's not telling me. I can't do the research now: ugh, simply posting the picture makes my stomach lurch for the first time in hours.

I didn't want some gentle reader to remember my excitement about the quesadillas and end up in the same dreadful situation...........

1 comment:

MC said...

I'm so sorry to hear that such a lovely blossom could bring such torment to your tummies! The image is lovely, though, and I appreciate you posting it. I can only hope it doesn't inspire further upset.

And, given the current turn of events, I can't decide if this is the perfect reason to use the blossoms as a starting point for a cloth somethingoranother (a more pleasant association might be welcome)...or the exact reason I should hang the idea on a hook at the very back of my closet.