7.26.2007

Just like my mom used to make

I keep the legacy of my mother's kitchen alive in many ways. I remember the thoughtfulness of her cooking, I've internalized her dedication to well-rounded meals, I celebrate her devotion to chocolate, and I aspire to her generosity and poise as a host. For a variety of reasons, I do not, however, reprise many of the dishes she made when I was growing up.

The other evening, however, I fried okra-- breading it simply with cornmeal and a hint of salt and browning it until the sides of the slices were wonderfully crunchy while the inside of each piece was still soft, moist, and flavorful. As I drained the little treats on a paper towel and salted them, I realized with pride that I'd accomplished fried okra just like my mom used to make.

2 comments:

MC said...

This is heartwarming and wonderful. If your generosity and poise as host is any reflection of your mother's, then she was surely quite a gal!

Chris said...

Hello, you have a wonderful blog, but I can't find your email address, can you please contact me at linkexchange@edenfantasys.com? I have something to discuss with you
Regards, Chris
(Please can you delete this comment after your decision?)