7.19.2007

repORTage 1

Here's the first post in an at-least two-part and perhaps ongoing series entitled repORTage, in which I document my exploration of left-overs and their hopefully exciting potential.

A few years back, I asked Kenneth to get Cooking with Joy from the public library. Now, I can't fathom why I did so... Nevertheless, I copied a handful of recipes into a Word file-- mind you, her Splenda-sweetened dessert recipes were not among those I transcribed. One of Joy's creations which I return to somewhat regularly is shrimp with garlic and feta, a quick, easy, and intensely flavorful entrée. Joy, in all her trim and trimming glory, orders the dish to be served with brown rice. I, on the other hand, served it with fried zucchini pancakes:



Actually, the pancakes were my main objective in planning this dinner, and I thought the shrimp with feta would make for a nice complement and a filling meal. In my tweaking of Joy's recipe, the shrimp are baked under a quick tomato and garlic sautée, so you don't see them so well above.

I made enough zucchini batter for the following night-- not exactly orts, I know, but a form of left-overs just the same. On night two, we had the zucchini pancakes with a cherry raita, yellow-wax beans, and deviled eggs. I've read a number of recipes for zucchini pancakes that include fresh currants, and I've had zucchini pancakes with a cranberry sauce on at least one occasion, so I thought the sharp, fresh cherries would work nicely.



I'm pleased with how different the zucchini patties look in the respective menus.

2 comments:

Kenneth Burns said...

You wanted Cooking With Joy because you cook with joy! Also coriander.

MC said...

The magenta raita is out of this world! Warn your guests before serving this so they can wear something to match. I have a little pin-tucked ditty that would be the perfect choice!