7.01.2007

Picnic



Thank goodness Clara turned me on to the Willy Street Co-op's eggless egg salad. As a vegaquarian, I've long been dedicated to vegetarian food that doesn't smack of meat substitutes or hippy-dippy dowdiness. Thus, I long steered clear of the co-op's eggless egg salad. But, thanks to Clara (who some time ago declared a passion for the stuff), I now know about this delicious dill-spiked, tofu-based salad which makes a perfect summer sandwich. It's my favorite weekend lunch fare-- perfect for Sunday bike rides or lunch on the wee pier at Cherokee Marsh. Incidentally, I'm also a fan of a Willy Street deli dish called Jeff's Vegan "Cheesy" Bowties and the bakery's Nothing Muffins (which are wheat-, dairy-, and sugar-free). I think Jeff's pasta may be an acquired taste but one well worth acquiring. The muffins-- made with maple syrup and plump raisins-- are the moistest, most delicious bran muffins I've ever tasted. I somehow managed to discover these two treats myself, in spite of my vegetarian prejudices.

No comments: