10.01.2007

Night of the Iguan/



Sunday evening, we once again set off to APT in Spring Green, this week to see Night of the Iguana. Weather for the picnic was crystal clear, but as soon as we sat down for the show, the evening got windy, which was great because in the first act there's much talk of the onset of a storm. Perfectly exhilarating. A downpour forced the show to end 10-15 minutes before completion-- a disappointment but the whole thing had been so stimulating up to that point that I was scarcely disappointed.

The picnic included shrimp in escabeche; the July '07 Gourmet's quicker version of pissaladière sans the anchovies; an anchovy & radicchio salad by Judy Rodgers-- a recipe that Bradford's been raving about lately-- and Roth Kase Knight's Vail, a local, limberger-like cheese that I recently discovered and love. For dessert, meringue-topped white chocolate brownies which didn't travel so well: they were delicious but I tossed the pictures because they looked so sad.

5 comments:

MC said...

My experience with cheeses of the limberger and aged brick ilk are that they smell like shit. How do you deal?

cBenigni said...

I am wiping my chin, that looks so good! Erk, I just had instant noodles three nights in a row on the trail... and will continue to eat the processed goodness once I return. I just wanted to let you know that your pics have just brought me one step closer to becoming an omnivore! Cheers! Cool blog, btw!

I hope all is well!

Erk said...

Aww, shucks CB! You know, the best part of that meal (the pissaladière sans the anchovies) was vegetarian. I'm always happy to whip up a plate of vegetarian vittles when you're in town! I promise, no instant noodles.

Erk said...

MC - I'm not ignoring your recent comments. I'm planning to blog on cheese and to email you. :)

MC said...

i'll be waiting with baited breath that hopefully smells nothing like limberger.

xo