8.10.2008

From This Weekend's Market


Local okra is always expensive here, but I love it so-- our household greets it and eats it with such enthusiasm-- that I couldn't resist.

Stunning amaranth from Harmony Valley Farm. Its flavor, particularly when sauteed, is markedly similar to that of spinach.

Peacock Broccoli from the farmer who produces spigariello. This is a broccoli/kale cross which she declares has more kick than the spigariello.

Dragon's tongue beans and your more traditional yellow wax beans. The dtb farmer-- who also produced the peacock broccoli-- explained that the Dragon's tongue is a Swedish heirloom. She also told me that she listens to a Swedish rock station: "Sex must mean six, because they're always saying sex-- sex, sex, sex."

Another batch of fingerling potatoes.

Yellow Doll Watermelon from Tipi Produce. We've already had a batch of watermelon, mint, and olive salad.

Coral-like cauliflower for which I paid a little too much money. I'll be more careful next time around. That's one of the risks I take by arriving in the 8 o'clock hour which is not early enough to make a pass before buying anything.
Not pictured: corn, torpedo onion

3 comments:

MC said...

what a great series of portraits.

tooknap press said...

the watermelon pic is so especiallye exquisite: almost turgid but not, gorgeous, alone.

I've been trying to think of a word for the color of the crimson leaves and shoots.

how could you deny me my torpedo onion?

tooknap press said...

especialleeeeeeeeeeee for ereck