8.26.2008

From This Weekend's Market


Bi-color corn.

Melons grown in Wisconsin soil are particularly delicious, and I believe the orchid melon is my favorite. It's slightly headier and has a slightly more intense flavor than what I associate with straight-up watermelon.

Round zucchini.

I can't say no to okra, and I'm delighted to report that more and more farmers seem to be growing it. The above is from Harmony Valley.

When I requested a bunch of amaranth this week, the farmer replied: "Oh, we have variegated this week; would you like to try that?" Yes, please!

These sun golds are like sunshine turned into sugar turned into tomatoes. Perfect. And this batch was surprisingly inexpensive.

Peacock broccoli and dragon's tongue beans requested that I photograph them together this week.

Mixed salad greens.
Not pictured: pattypan squash, red okra.

2 comments:

Ya-Jo Lo said...

I love those Round zucchinis.
Thank you for sharing.
Are you going to cook them?
Please don't.

Ya-Jo

Erk said...

Ya-Jo,

Too late! We already gobbled them up! And they were delicious. We won't eat the picture, though: it will help us remember how gorgeous these zucchinis were!

Thanks for dropping by!