8.18.2008

Top Olympic Spectating Moments & Themes (to Date)

Generally, I'm no sports fan. Kenneth and I attended one UW football game last year and agreed that we need only stay through the halftime show. As a result, my passionate and extensive viewing of the Olympic games never fails to mystify me. With Kenneth's assiduous preparation resulting in two dvrs capturing as much available footage as possible, I've watched more events than ever before. It's almost as if my life's on hold until the games conclude next weekend-- a state that's at once delightful and anxiety-ridden for me. Here are the highlights so far:
  1. Women's weightlifting 53kg division competition. 10/10/08. I adore the smiley Melanie Roach, not to mention all the weightlifters (make and female alike) who kick ass on stage only to dissolve into ecstatic, weeping 12-y/o girls in the ready room. I will worry less in the future when I dissolve into my 12-y/o girlself.
  2. Koreans win women's-team gold medal in archery. 10/10/08.
  3. Badminton, badminton, badminton. So elegant and captivating.
  4. Brilliant diving commentary by Cynthia Potter whose criticism and enthusiasm are determined wholly by each athlete's performance (not their nationality nor the yarns spun about them prior to the competition) and who consistently offers insight and clear information about the sport in her predictions, glosses, and commentary.
  5. Greco-Roman wrestling, especially the gold-medal matches in the 66- and 74-kilogram divisions (Steeve Guenot of France and Manuchar Kvirkelia of Georgia win gold medals). 10/13/08.
  6. Split-screen shots during track cycling pursuit races.
  7. "Bam! And then it lands on the court like a butterfly with sore feet!"
  8. Gymnast Jonathan Horton on mute, particularly if there's any chance I might also hear any commentary from commentators Tim Daggett and Al Trautwig.
  9. Classical destiny is replaced by genetics + psychology?
  10. The peloton of cycling coaches and assistants who pedal alongside rowing races.
  11. The steeplechase and particularly US competitor and former UTK teammate Anthony Famiglietti: "In choosing to be a steeplechase runner... I am living the opposite of the American Dream."
  12. Michael Phelps's enormous... wingspan.

No comments: