4.08.2008

Message for Michael:
Lagerfeld's Happiness

MC: After seeing the film, would you say Karl is a happy man?

Erk: Lagerfeld would certainly say that he's a happy man, I think. And in the film he seems happy. I say seems because, as the film makes abundantly clear, his value systems are radically different from mine. In my seems, I begin to impose my own understandings of the world-- understandings many of which Lagerfeld would certainly smirk and scoff at. He would likely smirk and scoff at your questioning his happiness: he espouses a consistent disdain for any form of self-pity. By his own account, he struts forward too speedily, too resiliently to reflect. I'm not sure I would say Karl is a happy man, but he seems immensely happy.




Post Script: He appears to have developed a tiny pot belly. Which delights me.

2 comments:

tooknap press said...

Seams to be a happy man, seams impose understandings of the world, seams strut forward, seams smirk and scoff, seams espouse.

MC said...

Personalized blog entries make me a VERY happy man.

And I can't help but wonder about the happiness of the field's key players as I forge ahead on my own path. Having a gauge or reference point seems helpful, somehow. My curiosities about Karl are particularly potent because of his eccentricities; eccentricities that for now seem to encourage rather than discourage me. And as moments of occasional shoulder rubbing with the big guns take place, I'm keen on noting the signs of happiness and contentment. The demonstrations of what not to do may be more prevalent and noteworthy, but so much less fulfilling than knowing Karl is indeed a happy man - or at least fashionably feigning as one.