4.20.2008

Towards the Light


Shorn and stacked, with a bit of oozing caramel visible between the top two layers.


Dorie Greenspan's Cocoa-Buttermilk Cake.
DG doesn't call for caramel between layers, but I felt like experimenting with melted sugar.
The new cake stand and dome aren't fancy. I viewed them as primarily practical purchases (emphasis on storage rather than presentation), so I opted for heavy and plain over light and gorgeous.


Kenneth: Can I have cake for breakfast?
Erk: Of course!!!

5 comments:

tooknap press said...

Bravo! Your caramel addition is clearly the coup de grace. Should I buy Dodie Greenspan's BAKING for the cake cult library?

Erk said...

Will blog a response ASAP. Need to have the book in hand while writing up a response.

MC said...

Your cake stand is lovely and a great choice, I think. I have one just like it. Does yours invert and double as a punch bowl like mine does?

Erk said...

Yes. It's nice and heavy-- diner-ware. The punch bowl set-up is pretty nutty. But, hell, if we ever need a punchbowl (???) now we're set.

MC said...

When you come to visit Seattle, let's have punch!